Terms & Conditions
I've never needed to refer a client to these formal Terms and Conditions in the course of my work; I take pride in high-quality work, in great communication and in building excellent client relationships. Nevertheless, they are worth having in place.
Use of my services is acknowledgement and acceptance of your status as the 'Client' and my status as the 'Freelance', and of these Terms and Conditions.
1. These terms & conditions apply to any work done for the Client by the Freelance.
2. The Client is under no obligation to offer the Freelance work; neither is the Freelance under any obligation to accept work offered by the Client.
3. The Freelance will provide service(s) as mutually agreed, confirmed in writing by the Client.
4. The work will be carried out unsupervised at such times and places as determined by the Freelance, using her own equipment.
5. The Freelance confirms that she is self-employed, is responsible for her own income tax and National Insurance contributions, and for paying VAT (where applicable) and will not claim benefits granted to the Client's employees.
6. The Freelance agrees to attend the Client's or other premises for necessary meetings, the time spent and agreed reasonable expenses incurred to be reimbursed by the Client.
7. The Client will reimburse the Freelance for agreed reasonable expenses over and above usual expenses incurred in the process of editorial work.
8. The Client will pay the Freelance a fee per hour OR per thousand words OR an agreed flat fee for the job, either in advance or on completion, as agreed.
9. The completed work will be delivered on or before the date agreed, for the agreed fee, which will be based on the description of the work required and the brief, both supplied by the Client.
10. If, however, on receipt of the item to be worked on or at an early stage, it becomes apparent that significantly more work is required than had been anticipated in the preliminary discussion/brief, the Freelance may renegotiate the fee and/or the deadline.
11. Similarly, if, during the term of the Freelance's work, additional tasks are requested by the Client, the Freelance may renegotiate the fee and/or the deadline.
12. If the project is lengthy, the Freelance may invoice periodically for completed stages, either in advance or on completion of the stages, as agreed.
13. Any content created by the Freelance as part of the editing process will become the copyright of the Client, unless otherwise agreed.
14. The nature and content of the work will be kept confidential and not made known to anyone other than the Client without prior written permission, unless there is a legal requirement to do so.
15. If the Freelance's work is unsatisfactory within the agreed work brief, the Freelance will rectify it in her own time and at her own expense.
16. Unless agreed otherwise at the outset, payment will be made within 30 days of receipt of the Freelance's invoice, according to the Late Payment of Commercial Debts (Interest) Act 1998 (amended 2002 and 2013).
18. Either the Client or the Freelance has the right to terminate a contract for services if there is a serious breach of its terms.
19. If the Freelance has made a substantial contribution to the editing project, she/he will be entitled to receive one free copy of the work.
20. The Freelance's name may not be included in acknowledgements or elsewhere in relation to the Client's work unless the Freelance gives prior permission.
21. This agreement is subject to the laws of England and Wales, and both Freelance and Client agree to submit to the jurisdiction of the English and Welsh courts.
Last Updated: These Terms and Conditions were last updated on 18th January 2019.
In a nutshell:
I will not give your information to anybody else unless you specifically ask me to.
If you contact me for the purposes of enquiring about or engaging my services -
For purposes of this Agreement, “Service” refers to my services which can be accessed via my website at www.karenatkinsoneditorial.co.uk. The terms “I” and “me” refer to Karen Atkinson. “You” refers to you, as a user of my Service.
II. INFORMATION I COLLECT
I may collect both “Non-Personal Information” and “Personal Information” about you. “Non-Personal Information” includes information that cannot be used to personally identify you, such as anonymous usage data, general demographic information I may collect, referring/exit pages and URLs, platform types, preferences you submit and preferences that are generated based on the data you submit and number of clicks. “Personal Information” includes information that can be used to personally identify you, such as your name, address and email address.
In addition, I may also track information provided to me by your browser or by my mobile application when you view or use the Service, such as the website you came from (known as the “referring URL”), the type of browser you use, the device from which you connected to the Service, the time and date of access, and other information that does not personally identify you. I use this information for, among other things, the operation of the Service, to maintain the quality of the Service, to provide general statistics regarding use of the Service and for other business purposes. I track this information using cookies, or small text files which include an anonymous unique identifier. Cookies are sent to a user’s browser from my servers and are stored on the user’s computer hard drive. Sending a cookie to a user’s browser enables me to collect Non-Personal Information about that user and keep a record of the user’s preferences when utilizing my services, both on an individual and aggregate basis. I may use both persistent and session cookies; persistent cookies remain on your computer after you close your session and until you delete them, while session cookies expire when you close your browser. Persistent cookies can be removed by following your Internet browser help file directions.
III. HOW I USE AND SHARE INFORMATION
In general, I use Non-Personal Information to help me improve the Service and customise the user experience. I also aggregate Non-Personal Information in order to track trends and analyse use patterns of the Service.
IV. HOW I PROTECT INFORMATION
I implement reasonable precautions and follow industry best practices in order to protect your Personal Information and ensure that such Personal Information is not accessed, disclosed, altered or destroyed. However, these measures do not guarantee that your information will not be accessed, disclosed, altered or destroyed by breach of such precautions. By using my Service, you acknowledge that you understand and agree to assume these risks.
VI. LINKS TO OTHER WEBSITES
VII. AGE OF CONSENT
By using the Service, you represent that you are at least 18 years of age.
IX. EMAIL COMMUNICATIONS & OPTING OUT
Based upon the Personal Information that you provide me, I may communicate with you in response to your inquiries to provide the services you request. I will communicate with you by email or telephone, in accordance with your wishes.
X. CONTACTING ME & WITHDRAWING CONSENT